« Home | My thoughts are too complex and involved lately to... » | Stagnant » | I was just watching Super Nanny, and I started cry... » | Time for some more pictures... » | "Dance It, Honey!" » | Three Cups of Tea » | So my prayer tonight as I caught a glimpse of my s... » | My life... » | Decision time... » | Emerson slept all night last night! I didn't thin... » 

6.23.2008 

Rascal Dog


So we knew this day was coming... I just didn't think it would hit me as hard as it has... after having Rascal as a loyal family pet for 12 years, we put her to sleep today. She had developed cancer that had spread to her lungs and had caused her to go blind in one eye... it was such a hard decision for us to make as a family, but we knew it was time... she lived such a great life... she brought so much happiness, laughter, and comfort to our family... I never thought I would have gotten so attached to her... I loved that dog. Mom and Dad talked to Trip on Friday night to prepare him (Rascal was technically his dog... he got her as a Christmas present when he was 8), and it was decided that we shouldn't wait anymore. Rascal may have been Trip's dog, but she definitely had the loyal-to-your-master relationship with my dad. If one of the rest of us told her to "come," she would maybe come (chances improved if we had a treat or an open car door). But if dad told her to "come," she would come. So dad wanted to take Rascal to the vet alone, I guess so he wouldn't have to be strong in front of anyone. So we all gave her one last ear rub or hug and told her goodbye beforehand. When dad pulled her leash down, she started wagging her tail, just as she always did when she knew she was going to go for a walk or a drive. When dad left with her, Trip closed the doggy door for the last time and just laid in front of it and cried.


So, Rascal is gone now. We have so many funny memories of her... when she ate an entire pizza off the kitchen counter (giving her the name Pizza Dog); when she ate an entire bag (wrappers and all) of Hersey kisses; when she ate an entire turkey carcass out of the trash (okay, so that dog liked to eat!); when Tilden picked her up when she was getting ready to fight another dog and accidentally stuck his hand up her rearend; when we decided that she had fallen in love with a dog on the Purina Dog Show; when she and Hannah frenched kiss when Hannah was a baby; when she had ELEVEN puppies; when we were pretty sure that for years she talked with a lisp; when just the sight of our tennis shoes would make her whine for a walk; when Becca & I decided to decorate her with paint but Trip got mad at us; when she caught a deer out at camp; when she burped really loud; when she was always there to greet us excitedly and genuinely as we walked into mom & dad's house; when she followed dad around camp everywhere he went; when she did great tricks on command; when she was always available for a cuddle...


I'm going to miss that dog...




It was a hard decision to make and it was the right one. Doggies have a way of making a snuggly bed in our hearts and they stay there forever.
God probably made dogs because they're the closest thing to unconditional he could show us.

I completely agree with Kristy...dogs really are the closest thing we will ever see to unconditional. I never got to meet your Dog but from your post I can tell she was special. I know how hard it is and I know what it is like to ball up an cry over such a loss to the family. Thank you for sharing such precious memories.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was one lucky pooch to have a great family (who left so many tasty treats within doggy reach) who loved her as much as you all did.

Awww...your post made me cry and laugh. What a wonderful dog....I am sorry for your families loss...wish I was there to give you all a hug...thanks for sharing your memories....it was really special to read them...

Beautiful and memorable...I hope you are feeling better!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Stephanie
  • From Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
  • I want to make a difference in my world... I want to appreciate the beauty around me to the fullest... I want to experience life in every possible way... I want to love and appreciate each the kids at the Club everday...lots of wants...realities?
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates