« Home | I don’t know why I can’t get it out of my head… af... » | Goals, not Relating to Soccer » | Life Update » | Have you ever listened to music so beautiful that ... » | Just Another Friday Evening... » | Pros... Cons...Pros: wider range to impact kids; h... » | First Year Down... » | So, I've been playing around with macromedia latel... » | » | Boycott, anyone?? » 

7.16.2006 

Tilden and I went to church this morning... decided to go even though we are on a "break" from Revolution... I couldn't justify sitting at home or sitting in the "big people's service" while all of those precious kids were around, so I went along for the ride in Revolution today, a ride that was driven by Rob, Heather, and the Summer Service Team.

For those who want to question and point fingers and wonder what's happening with those sometimes wild and unruly kids in Revolution... let me tell you that God was with us today. I think he may have been sitting right next to me as I sat in a circle with Rob and some of the kids as they prayed for each other... prayed that the burdens we had written on our prayer cards would be handed over to God...

One little girl prayed a prayer for another little girl that only she and God could understand... I understood maybe 2 words of what she said, but man, this girl was praying. And God was listening and smiling. Another child prayed that another kid would get along with her cousin and friends... another child asked God to take away my selfishness so I could completely do God's will...

Yes, the kids were sometimes coming in and out of rooms, running around barefoot. But I don't think that mattered one bit today. When one child whispered to Rob that he didn't know how to pray, Rob helped him tell God what he wanted to say. Oh, and that was supposedly a "churched" kid.

I think there is something seriously wrong with a church when it wants to put all its resources into providing a show for the adults who come to church on Sunday mornings. As Tilden said this morning when a respected member of the church said he was having a good morning until he saw Tilden in his t-shirt and shorts and said that we needed to figure out a way to get Tilden out of the back with the kids and once again into the chapel on Sunday mornings, "I thought that you adults in the service are all saved. What good am I in there?" We have to get our priorities straight. And we have to stop thinking that working with the kids on Sunday mornings is backstage work. It's the front lines. It's where the action is. It was definitely where God was hanging out today.

I love discussing issues with you and I love just listening to what you have to say. I think you are simply brilliant and would buy your book if you wrote one. We will see you guys soon.

Uh oh. You're in trouble now! I found you. But I'll probably just read and not post much since I'm sort of uninvited. :-)

I love this post. Wow! Stephanie! You are so full of passion for mission. And after all of these years, Charlotte Temple has people who are committed to worshiping with children and are even committed to the point of ignoring the "Statis-quo-ticians."

I love all of you.

Thanks for "being" and not just "believing."

Johnny

Stephanie:

You and Tilden have done a great job with Revolution. I have enjoyed teaching these so-called unchurched kids (even thought they've been coming for four months). The work that you guys have done is VERY evident and I hope it continues.

It's interesting to see how they react to us. They've been coming to my Sunday school class for four months and they are just NOW starting to trust me and goof around with me... and with that has come better behavior and respect during the time that I am teaching them. I feel like I am FINALLY connecting with some of them. It's a great feeling.

Unfortunately, our Greek influences have caused most all churches these days to put on a sort of theatrical atmosphere in traditional services. However, this "Hellenisation" (Hellenized Greeks) exists both in traditional (over 50 years old) and contemporary worship services.

I truly hope that none of us are naive enough to believe that everyone in the "adult" service is saved. I can name at least 1-2 in the corps band that aren't saved, but I continue to encourage them to participate with the hope of fostering friendships and spiritual growth.

I have been "preaching" for the last two years about our lack of focus on youth in our corps and I think most of us, including you, have felt that we were really dropping the ball on that.

I'm glad that you have really found your niche working with the kids and I hope that whoever that ignorant person was that made that comment to you about "getting Tilden back into the adult service" will one day "wake up." I would love to have Tilden playing in the band, but it's clear that his gifts are being used abundantly with the youngsters.

The kids definitely need us, and we definitely need them. However, there are many adults outside and inside of our church who are just as clueless about God as those kids are and it's our duty as Christians and Salvation Army soldiers to make a difference.

An investment in both age groups is needed.

My $.02

- Daniel

....I also think that we need to get back to meeting in small groups where REAL relationships grow and accountability as Christians can really be found.

- Daniel

every word i read reveals more of your beautiful spirit. i thank God for bringing you into my life and allowing me to see what His love is all about. you are amazing.

As a new mom, I praise God for people like you ... a person who is dedicated and committed to the spiritual well-being of Children ... a person who understands how to introduce Christ to children at their level in a way that they understand, and it is because of you that these children will be equipped with the tools and the cultivated faith that they need to cling to their relationship with Christ, live lives with little regret and re-teach the scriptures to their children. You are helping to break the cycle of godlessness in our world and I can't thank you enough for it.

Post a Comment