« Home | Dads are Awesome (and very cute at times!) » | I've been researching elementary, middle, and hig... » | really?! » | I don't want to be a materialistic person. I don't... » | Easter Egg Hunt in Savannah Woods today... lots of... » | Jesus' desire for his followers is that they live ... » | Tilden makes beautiful flower arrangements...he al... » | So Tilden and I just got back from being mesmerize... » | So I was just flipping through the tv channels, tr... » | So I have discovered that blogging may not be for ... » 

5.03.2006 

Boycott, anyone??


Exxon recently posted its 2006 1st quarter profits at $8.4 billion, which means that the company made $1,080 a second. With our current gasoline prices, that per-second profit is enough to pay for gas for the average American vehicle to be driven 7,750 miles... enough to drive from Seattle to Miami and back again. Exxon’s 2005 4th quarter profit of $10.7 billion is a record for any US company. And if that doesn’t raise enough questions, Exxon’s CEO recently received a $400 million annual pay and retirement package compared to Chevron’s CEO receiving $37 million and ConocoPhillips CEO receiving $17 million in total compensation last year (which is more than enough already!).

Does that piss you off at least a little? Who else wants to boycott some profit-hungry oil companies???

(info. received from cnnmoney.com)

Oh... and one more thing...

In Gaffney, South Carolina, Pantry, Inc. is suing Petro Express for low prices claiming that two of its stations offered gas below cost. Yup. Pantry claims that the lower prices violated South Carolina’s Unfair Trade Practices Act that says motor fuel retailers cannot offer prices below cost with the intent or effect of impairing competition. Seriously?? That’s like saying that car companies should sue each other if one offers a car at a lower price, or that Banana Republic should sue Wal-Mart for selling a black t-shirt at a cheaper price. There is actually a law that keeps gas prices from going too low??? We see whose side the law makers are on, now don’t we! They're on the side with the $400 million income-makers...

The CEO was actually on the Today Show yesterday. He said that the huge profit was not from the gas prices, but from another part of their business. Regardless of where it comes from, they can afford to lower prices. I am just as angry as you are. Thanks, by the way, for the encouragement.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to read the Today Show transcripts to see what excuses he gives. I checked on the Exxon website, and the company basically sells fuels and lubricants. I wonder if there was a sudden increase in lubricant sells...

So, I'm with you on the boycott - I've already said that I will never buy from Exxon Mobil again, as far as I can help it.

Trouble is - I've got to buy it from somewhere. I know that Shell and BP are probably the most active environmentally . . . maybe I'll start using them.

Grrrr.

Ugh...this is one of those times when I truly with I could teleport.
Miss you guys.
Tell my 'circle of friends' I said HI. Gosh I miss that boy..

Post a Comment